When thinking of going camping, the first thing to mind is probably sleeping in a tent on the ground in a sleeping bag or something very similar of the sort. Did you know that there is a better way to appreciate mother nature and wilderness without being uncomfortable? Roof top tents have just that to offer!
A beautiful aspect of owning a roof top tent is that you do not have to assemble and put it together in the way that is required from a traditional ground tent. Most roof top tents include systems that create an easy set up and mattresses to upgrade your experience.
Here are the top 10 in a quick list form:
- Smittybilt Overlander Roof Top Tent
- Guana Equipment Wanaka 55″ Roof Top Tent Setup With XL Annex
- Thule Tepui Explorer Kukenam 3 Tent
- iKamper Skycamp 2.0 Tent
- Roofnest Condor XL
- iKamper X Cover
- Roofnest Condor XL
- iKamper Skycamp Mini
- Maggiolina AirLand Plus
- Freespirit Recreation High Country
This article will give you the ten best roof top tents and explain why we chose each one. Keep reading to find out all the information there is to know!
1. Smittybilt Overlander Roof Top Tent
Smittybilt has been in the roof top tent industry for over 60 years and was created for campers to feel the comforts of home while also enjoying the outdoors. Being in the game for so long, Smittybilt has an experience advantage over other competitors. This fact alone influenced us to add the Smittybilt Overlander to our top ten list.
The Smittybilt Overlander Roof Top Tent is constructed with high quality materials and includes many intriguing features that go as follows:
- Interior LED light
- Mesh windows allowing for ventilation
- Quick and easy set up
- Wide Sliding Aluminum Ladder
- Mosquito Net
- Dense mattress with removable cover
- 661 pound weight capacity (the equivalent of 2-3 people)
- Waterproof velcro lining
- Lightweight rainfly
- 1 year warranty
If you are in the market to find a durable and dependable roof top tent, you can feel confident choosing the Smittybilt Overlander as your go-to choice.
2. Guana Equipment Wanaka 55″ Roof Top Tent Setup With XL Annex
The Guana Equipment Wanaka Roof Top Tent With Annex stands out compared to competing roof top tents on the market. This roof top tent got a significant upgrade in 2020, resulting in a more durable build and eye-catching features.
The newly upgraded Wanaka roof top tent includes the following:
- LED lights
- 3 awning doors
- Anti-condensation mat
- Sleeps up to 4 adults
- It has an entrance window and a sky view window
- XL annex room
- Removable flooring in an annex room
- The base is plated with black diamond aluminum for better insulation
3. Thule Tepui Explorer Kukenam 3 Tent
The Thule Tepui Explorer Kukenam 3 Tent will have you feeling right at home. It is made from durable and affordable material, not to mention it has high level of comfort. Tepui pays attention to detail which makes a massive difference in overall performance.
Here are some essential qualities that caught our attention:
- Can sleep up to 3 people
- It has a comforting foam mattress
- The tent fabric is mold resistant as well as UV
- Material is also water-resistant to aid in withstanding different weather conditions
- Includes internal pockets to store camping accessories
- Durable canopy
4. iKamper Skycamp 2.0 Tent
This hard shell roof top tent is built with premium quality materials for great use during winter weather. With its patented 1 minute set up, the iKamper Skycamp 2.0 roof top tent makes for a solid choice.
Here are a few more reasons why iKamper Skycamp 2.0 made our list:
- Shell is double layered for strength, insulation, and condensation resistance
- Tent body canvas provides resistance to wet weather conditions
- Floor panels are honeycomb aluminum, solid and lightweight
- The telescoping ladder has a 330 lb weight limit
- The tent weight limit is 900 lbs
- The roof has a sky view window, perfect for stargazing at night, and extra light during the day
- Option to add an annex room for additional living space
- Includes a king size mattress to accommodate up to 3 adults or 2 children with 2 adults
- Fabric is breathable and quieter than polyester
- Windows have mesh netting to keep insects and other creepy crawlers out
5. Roofnest Condor XL
The Condor XL is Roofnest’s first fold out style hard shell roof top tent. The tent makes perfect for vehicles on the smaller side and truck bed racks, and the built-in mattress is not your average camping mattress. It is raved about by owners saying things like, “It feels like a real bed!” making for a comfortable rest area.
We felt the Roofnest Condor XL was worth adding to our top ten list for the following reasons:
- Shell is weather resistant from the ABS/ASA plastic used when constructed
- Includes a skylight that full zips open for viewing but also has mesh for protection if needed
- It has a 6 cm custom shaped foam mattress with a waterproof cover
- Collapsible telescoping ladder included making entering and exiting much easier
- Sleeps up to 4 adults
- Fabric is more challenging and thicker than a traditional ground tent, adding extra warmth
6. iKamper X Cover
The iKamper X Cover is an excellently made hybrid roof top tent. It has more room for the mattress like the traditional softshell tents while also taking on the durability of a hard shell tent. Its versatility makes for a unique camping experience and has excellent compatibility with most vehicles.
Besides the reasons mentioned above, these are the other characteristics that draw buyers attention:
- Plenty of space for sitting up, relaxing, and headroom
- Softshell design for lighter for travel
- Includes an easy to climb the telescoping ladder with a 330 lb weight limit
- Comfortable king size mattress made from dense memory foam
- Can sleep 2 adults and 2 children (or 3 adults)
- Constructed using custom molds and high-quality components
- Rainfly has taped seams for waterproof performance
- It has 2 interior pockets for easy organization
7. Maggiolina AirLand Plus
The Maggiolina Airland Plus is excellent for campers looking to travel light. Even though you will be traveling light, it does not mean the light will compromise your comfort. This roof top tent includes a thick foam mattress and its waterproof design will keep you dry and warm.
Below are a few other reasons we love this roof top tent:
- Designed for light travel
- Water and dustproof
- Fitted with a closed-cell foam mattress
- Suitable for camping in any weather
- Includes a ladder bag for less clutter
8. Roofnest Falcon Aluminum Hardshell Roof Top Tent
The Roofnest Falcon is a very slim model which will not make a huge dent in your vehicle’s gas mileage, and its peak height reaches a shocking 5 feet. One unfortunate drawback is that you will not be able to store bedding or any extras in your tent while traveling, making your setup and take-down times a bit more tedious.
Despite the cons, here are some pros that make us love this tent:
- Shell is made from aluminum honeycomb sheets
- Supports up to 650 lbs
- Walls are made from heavy-duty material making it quieter when windy
- It has a waterproof rating of 3000mm compared to 1000mm for waterproof backpacking tents
- Includes a comfortable, custom shaped 7cm foam mattress
- Detachable telescoping ladder included
9. iKamper Skycamp Mini
The iKamper Skycamp Mini is an excellent pick with its 60 seconds setup. You can be in your tent within minutes and fully relaxed! There is added warmth from the quilted insulation and resistance to condensation so that you can sleep with peace of mind.
Below are a couple more reasons we find this tent to be a great choice:
- Entrance zippers are waterproof
- The hard shell is reinforced with fiber to protect your tent while driving on the road
- The tent body canvas is made out of thick polyester for wet weather resistance
- 1 minute setup
- Includes high density foam mattress that sleeps up to 2 adults
- Rainfly has a 3,000mm polyurethane coating and can be rolled up for extra ventilation
- It weighs 125 lbs and includes a universal mounting system
10. Freespirit Recreation High Country
The Freespirit Recreation High Country is an excellent choice for roof top camping. This tent offers 360-degree views, making for marvelous sightseeing. It is very spacious and has a beautiful and more sleek design. These are not the only reasons we love this tent, though.
Here are a few more features that grab buyers attention:
- Made from lightweight fabrics making it is one of the lightest manual roof top tents on the market
- Has oversized windows for 360-degree viewing
- Can sleep up to 3 people
- It is perfect for smaller vehicles
- Sets up and can be taken down within seconds
In conclusion, no matter what your needs are, we hope this article has been beneficial in allowing you to choose the best roof top tent. At the end of the day, it is ultimately up to you which model you decide to go with, but we wanted to give you this article to show you what your best options are. Happy camping!
FindCampingGear.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We also participate in other affiliate programs which compensate us for referring traffic.